Last Sunday, I suddenly had a desire for some chocolate muffins and found out that there was only 1 egg left in my fridge. (Fyi, you can’t really do your shopping on Sundays in Germany since most of the stores and supermarkets are closed 😦 )
I know that using mayonnaise to substitute eggs and butter in muffins has been a thing for a while. However, I couldn’t convince myself to try that out. I just couldn’t imagine how my chocolate muffins would taste like until I tried this recipe.
Surprisingly, I couldn’t taste any mayonnaise at all. The muffins were super moist and chocolatey. I adapted the recipe from “RECIPES FOR MY BOYS”, but of course I made some adjustment according to what I had in the fridge and cupboard on that day as well.
Well, I think I will stick to these chocolate mayo muffins from now on since they are so simple and I always have the ingredients in my kitchen xD
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius.
- Grease the muffin pan and put the muffin cases in.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add sugar in then whisk well.
- Put mayonnaise in our dry ingredients and whisk until everything is well combined.
- Add milk and vanilla extract then whisk until you have a thick batter.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared cases, fill them up to 2/3
- Bake them in the oven for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Please don’t underbake them cause they will collapse in the middle after cooling on a rack.
- But you can underbake them for 2-5 minutes if you want to serve them hot. They are super fudgy in the middle and still look good when you serve them immediately or at least in 10 minutes.
When you underbake the muffins, they will turn out like this:
And these are the perfect baked muffins